Although I experienced a period of time not wanting anything to do with fennel, I'm loving it again.
(It's thought that fennel can promote breast milk production, so I was eating this SO MUCH during A's first year...then got sick of it, until recently!)
This recipe is a little more work using both the stove and the smoker, but it's worth the juggling between the two!
Fennel citrus smoked scallops served with Sauvignon Blanc from Becker Vineyards
FENNEL CITRUS SMOKED SCALLOPS
Protein: scallops Prep Time: 15 minutes Cook Time: 40 minutes
INGREDIENTS (9): scallops (12 oz)
fennel (1 bulb)
shallots (2, sliced)
butter (2 tbsp, 1/3 c)
tangerine (2 - including zest from 1) worchestershire sauce (1 tsp) garlic (2 tbsp, minced)
salt, pepper (to taste)
INSTRUCTIONS: - Turn on smoker and preheat for 10-15 minutes at 165F. - Place scallops on a greased baking sheet or cast iron, season lightly with salt + pepper.
- Once smoker is preheated, place scallops inside and smoke at 165F for 20 minutes.
- During this time, wash and chop fennel bulb and the shallots.
- Saute fennel and shallots until they are cooked through and keep warm over a low temp.
- Make the citrus butter sauce by melting the butter in a saucepan and adding the garlic, Worcestershire sauce, zest from one tangerine, juice from both tangerines, and any other spices/herbs desired.
- After the scallops are done smoking, remove and increase the temperature to 400F.
- While waiting for the grill to reach temp, brush the citrus butter sauce on the scallops - you should have extra leftover for later. - Once the grill is at 400F, place the scallops back in and cook for 10 minutes, or until cooked through and no longer translucent.
- When cooked, remove the scallops from the grill, plate the warm fennel/shallots and transfer the scallops on top. Drizzle with the remaining citrus butter sauce and garnish with some more tangerine zest and parsley. - Dig in!